Saturday, December 19, 2009

Introduction

I wanted to create a place to encourage people to read more books, and share their passion for reading. As a book editor for over ten years, I see every day how an idea can become a proposal, a manuscript, a finished book, and ultimately change a reader's life. Books have the ability to meaningfully impact us in a way other media generally doesn't. Most books can't be finished in two hours like a movie--you have to take more time and absorb them. Without a set and actors, you customize your own vision of what the characters look like, you make them personal to you. My authors sometimes forward me letters from readers who identify with the characters in a way that gives them solace, are inspired by a memoir to change their own lives, or manage to reach a personal goal through the author's guidance and advice. A good genre novel can help you wind down and escape for a few hours each night, and a travel narrative can take you to a place you've never been.
This blog isn't about me. It's about reading, but I will share some of ways I motivated myself to spend more time reading, finally getting around to the classics I'd never read in school, exploring genres I'd never tried, discovering new favorite authors, or just making room on my shelves for new books by reading (and donating) the ones I had. If you have a passion for reading, some of these motivations may sound familiar. For me, it helps to have a clearly defined goal to work toward (I can't tell you how many business/motivation/self-help books I've seen that have setting a goal as the foundation for achievement). I'm going to post reading challenges here that I've tried, or would like to try. I'll also offer reading lists that may inspire you.
Remember, this is about you. While I'm making suggestions, set your own goal that will be a good challenge for you. If you feel like it's too hard or too easy, or you lose interest in the challenge, don't give up--think what adjustments you need to make it work. You might want to invite friends or family to join you (the interest of my own friends and family is what inspired this blog), or to select a challenge of their own.
My goal is to create a community space for those who like to read. I cannot encourage you strongly enough to participate here. If you think I've left a book off a list, add a comment. If you want to share your progress toward whatever goal you choose, do so regularly. If you have a variation or a new challenge you want to try, by all means share it--it may inspire others to try. If you discovered a new author you love, found a classic surprisingly easy to read (or way too hard), or are looking for recommendations, let us know. The act of reading may be solitary, but the passion for reading is something we share (I know this, because if you didn't care about reading, you wouldn't have read this far.) And now, let's get to the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment